Monday, April 23, 2012

Bookish Marry, Fuck, Kill: The Bronte Sisters


I don't know about you, but my Monday is fulfilling all of the cliches about its being the worst day of the week. The antidote is my first blog round of Bookish Marry, Fuck, Kill. I've played the Teen TV version here before, but Bookish, with all of its infinite possibilities, has won my heart.

The Rules:

Marry means this will be a book you will own (and presumably read) for the rest of your life. Fuck means you get to read it once, in a literary one night stand, and never again. You're attracted to the book, but you don't want to wake up next to it every morning for the rest of your life. Kill means you eradicate the book from the world. You may even be reaching back in time and strangling the book before it was ever written.

Our Candidates:
Charlotte: "Villette"


My Choices:

This is a tough set for me. I really don't want to kill any of these novels, since I love them all. But I have to make some sacrifices:
"Villette" wins the "marry" spot. Easily. Always. It's the superior novel, but it's also the longest. So if I'm going to be joined to this novel for the rest of my life, it might as well be meaty, right?

My "fuck" is "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall." If it weren't up against "Villete," it would probably make the "marry" spot.

It kills me to kill "Wuthering Heights!" But if I have to sacrifice one, this is the novel that resonates the least with me right now. 

The positions might have been reversed when I was younger, but I don't feel like I discover new things in "Wuthering Heights" every time I read it like I do with "Villette" or "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall."

Which one would you kill off?



4 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with Villete or The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, so I'm going to marry Wuthering Heights for now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yeah, marrying the known quantity seems like a reasonable strategy ;)

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I at least like Wuthering Heights, have seen but not yet read Villete, and have never even encountered The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Basically, I suck at literature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't suck at literature if you like Wuthering Heights! I haven't seen the movie of Villette. I'll have to check that out.

      Delete